What does this tell us

Objectives

• Start and / or participate in the debate within the Forum of the course in order to work the Discrimination in the European Union.
  • Contribute and exchange opinions with the users of the course.

Duration and resources

• The activity will take place during the 5nd week.
  • Access the Forum or the platform Gijón.

Development

Watch the picture and read the text. Analyze it through the lens of the discrimination.

Sidney Mutueel

Police Chief inspector

Rotterdam

“Once I take off my uniform I become a citizen… and get stopped by my colleagues. I’ve been approached in a really impertinent, unfriendly ay, and that has an effect on me. And what went through my head at that moment was that whether I’m a policeman or not, I’m still a person. You’re supposed to treat other people as humans. It doesn’t take much effort to take me seriously and to check that registrations because after all, it’s there, in black and white. But even then, you don’t believe me. And then I thought, ‘Why do I have to prove myself again?’ It really affects you. You’re not taken seriously.”

Photo credit: © Ed Kashi/VII for the Open Society Foundations.

• Review the contents of Lesson 4 before doing the activity that we propose and consult the questions that have been raised in the forum about the contents.
  • Share your comments on the Forum to discuss the importance of non-discrimination policy and respecting the opinions of the other users.
  • Once the debate has begun, we can comment on the opinions of the other users, as well as vote on them. 

Example

We should never treat a person by his appearance, but by what he really is, starting with his condition as a human being. That is really difficult, because we let ourselves be carried away by our feelings of sympathy towards people who have the qualities that attract us, even if they are as superficial as they are or not beautiful... or the color of their skin. That is why it is important that we first have an awareness of what real prejudices we have, so that we can detect situations in which the risk of leaving them is corrected.

(Aún no hay temas de debate en este foro)